Thursday, February 28, 2008

I keep hoping to have some time to update my blog, but time keeps slipping away. And now I have a sudden and unexpected trip to Guatemala this weekend that knocks the first part of March all topsy-turvy. I have to say, though, that being able to make the trip and hopefully be a help to the Rickenbachs is a pure miracle from God!

Short version: My passport was in Washington, DC, to get a visa for a trip to Bolivia during Holy Week and Easter. I have confirmations that my papers arrived at a travel documents office on Monday 2/25. I talked to someone at the office on Tuesday 2/26, and he told me that the Bolivian consulate takes 3-4 days to process visa requests and that I could expect my passport back sometime early next week (around March 3 or 4 or 5).

But on Wednesday 2/27 FedEx delivered an envelope with my passport and visa, and a ticket on the envelope said that it was scheduled for delivery on 2/28.

I about lost my proverbial eyeteeth. And during the next hour and a half I found flight schedules that would allow me to keep my obligation at Ft. Myers Rescue Mission and still get to Guatemala at a decent hour. And after I had looked at getting two tickets (one for the Guate trip and another to get back home from Miami), I checked a multi-city routing on the airline's website and got the whole journey for 35% less than I had anticipated!

So, would you say that God was working things out for me to go? That's how we took it, so "off I go, into the wild blue yonder" again. I'd appreciate your prayers. I'm due back on March 6.

6 comments:

Vonnie said...

That is wonderful!! I'm so glad it worked out for you!

Karen Walden said...

Happy Trails!!! (Don't fall asleep on any bus rides while you are gone though!! :)

sankey family said...

I'm glad you get to go and be an encouragement to the Richenbachs - I'm sure that you will be. Maybe you can find a cheap ticket to McAllen, Texas sometime. We'd love it!

Gene Davis said...

You will be in our thoughts and prayers!!!!

Kim M. said...

Wow... talk about God proving Himself faithful huh?! Be careful and tell the Rickenbachs hello for me if you check this while you are there.

The Dickinsons said...

Looks like you'll get home today from your trip. Praise God that He worked out all of the last minute details to help you take the trip. God is AWESOME!
Love the nice pic of you and your sweetheart on your blog.
I just posted the recipe for our family's Soppy Choc. and biscuits for breakfast...and I mentioned that I understand that years ago you got that recipe from our family, and like to make it every now and then. I hope I didn't take your name in vain. =D
Looking forward to seeing y'all at IHC, Lord willing. =)