Thursday, May 08, 2008

This picture of my mother was taken on Mother's Day two years ago.

Mother's Day this year will find her in heaven. Mom died today about 5:45 Phoenix time after battling infections that ravaged her body following gall bladder surgery more than three weeks ago.

My brother, Andy, and sister, Elizabeth, were with her when she departed. At the moment of her death a CD player was softly sounding out the hymn, "He Hideth My Soul."

I'm grateful that I was able to fly to Phoenix last week and be with her for a few days. She was only truly responsive on my first evening there, though she also showed signs of recognition and responded in more limited ways on two or three other occasions.

Two of the best answers were when I asked, "Is everything all right between you and Jesus?" and "Is Jesus with you right now?" To both questions she looked me in the eye and nodded her head.

Her granddaughter Michelle wrote her a note in which she said, "It seems it's time to say goodbye, Grandma, but only for a little while." We're glad for the hope of eternity that we have through Jesus.

14 comments:

Janiece said...

Bro. Hight--
So sorry to hear about your mother! At least she is no longer in pain and she is with Jesus, that is enough to make you smile : ) You are all in our thoughts and prayers!

Beth Stetler said...

Please accept our deepest sympathy. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Steve, Beth, Maria and Kent Stetler

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

We are sincerely sorry for your loss. Praying for you at this time.

The Gurnee's

Karen Walden said...

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. That is wonderful that you were able to be with her for a few short days last week. What a peace you must have knowing she is with Jesus. Reflect on your wonderful memories and know that friends will be praying for you all!

LindaJo49 said...

So sorry to hear of your mother's passing but know she must be rejoicing in heaven today! Our prayers will be with you all!

Greg n Anna Cubs said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I remember Bro. Dulin talking about her. He thought a lot or your mom.

Anonymous said...

Steve, so sorry to hear about your
mother's passing but know she is in a better place.
I have been trying to find your email address and Deb Collins finally got me to your blog. At least I get to say a word or two to you.
Juanell

Gene Davis said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers!!!

Angie D said...

Our prayers are with you, Bro. Hight. Isn't it wonderful to know that she has made it Home and she's waiting there for you?

sankey family said...

Bro. Hight and family,
You have our love and sympathy during this difficult time.
Marc, Melodie and boys

Vonnie said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. We will be praying for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve:

I am SO sorry to hear of the recent loss of your mother. I TOTALLY understand what you are feeling. It is really bitter/sweet; we know they are well and whole again and with Jesus, in Heaven. The hard thing is the hole it leaves in your heart. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cindy said...

Bro. Hight,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I'm sure Mother's day was difficult for your family. Please know that we love you and are praying for you!

LaDonna said...

I have such sweet memories of both of your parents, but your Mother always had a smile when I would see her at church. What a talented artist, a faithful servant, and now another soldier that has made it home! Please know that we are thinking of you and your family and praying God's comfort.