Saturday, May 31, 2008

I've finally found something I'm good for!

Today we drained our waterbed mattress in preparation for taking the waterbed apart, clearing it out of our bedroom, and putting in a regular bed next week.

If you've had a waterbed, you know that draining the mattress, especially the ones with the foam dampers inside that make the mattress nearly waveless, can be a tough job. We got the siphon to work and emptied water into the bathtub, which worked well, and we piled books on the mattress to help persuade the water to go out.

However, those foam inserts don't give up the water easily, so when the siphon quit running, we rolled up the mattress in an effort to squeeze more water out, and then I lay on the foot of the mattress in an effort to force water to the spout. And it worked. So I guess I learned that I can lie on a waterbed mattress and help remove more water after the siphon has quit.

I'd have taken a picture, but I didn't want to be vain about my special talent.


We got the mattress rolled up and got it out of the bedroom by using a 4-wheel furniture dolly that I made several years ago and a handtruck that can be folded into a 4-wheel version. See photo. No, that's not me draped over the two dollies -- but I can tell you that, by the time the whole job of dismantling and moving the waterbed was done, that's about how I felt.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

At least you're good for something...

The kids will miss your bed!

Gene Davis said...

By chance your wife is not wrapped up in that liner??????

Melinda said...

That reminds me of Jonathan rolling around on your other waterbed mattress out in the front yard when you were moving from Columbus. I think I even have a picture somewhere!

Steve Hight said...

Gene -- how come you make dangerous comments like that on other people's blogs and don't update your own?

Melinda -- yeah, we talked about that time in Columbus, trying to empty the waterbed and get the mattress out. Things went a lot better this time.

Steve Hight said...

Mickey -- we talked about the kids missing our bed, too. They liked bouncing on it and getting the little wave the baffles allowed.

Vonnie said...

UGH!! What a job! :(

Noah and Heather said...

Could you loan the handcart and dolly to us? We are in VBS this week. I think that by the time the next two nights are over, we might need them to haul the adults home!
Maybe I am glad that we only have an air mattress at the moment. When we move yet again, we can just have the kids jump on it to get the air out.
A waterbed looks like too much work! However, it is great that you have discovered a special gift to add to your resume!