Sunday, May 18, 2008

Poll results:

Which of the girls in the picture is my mother in her youth?

Left: 6
Center : 1 and a question
Right: 1

Answer: Left

(1) I only know of two of these pictures. In both, someone wrote the names on the folder space under the photo, listing Mom's sister Dorothy first. However, the picture that was in Mom's possession had an arrow pointing from her name (Jeannette) to the girl on the left. We accept that as good evidence.

(2) Mom was the middle child. It's obvious in the picture that she's in the middle, height-wise, which should be a pretty decent indication, though I know it's not perfect.

(3) Anyone who knows Michelle very well has seen that look -- piercing eyes, lips pursed just so. This photo has to be of Michelle's grandmother!

15 comments:

Karen Walden said...

I see so much of Michelle in her! WOW!!!

Michelle said...

I didn't realize I had piercing eyes. I guess only when you do something on purpose to aggravate me. ;o)

Sheila said...

Steve...

I knew the little girl on the left had to be your mother--& also noticed the strong resemblence to Michelle!

I enjoyed seeing the photos on the memorial site. I also noticed several names that I recognized that left comments. We went to school with Chet Harper-many long years ago! Bob was also friends with Larry States. Small world...

I loved the last picture of your mother. She was a pretty lady. And evidently very talented! Do you have any of her paintings?

You do have our sympathy in the loss of your mother...

Bob & Sheila

Vonnie said...

Very neat picture! I really didn't have a clue... that is why I didn't guess!

Melinda said...

I still see alot of Kelcee in her in that picture, too. Especially when she first gets to your house and she's quiet and shy!

Steve Hight said...

Sheila, yes, we have three of Mom's paintings and will be choosing some more.

Melinda, you're right, Kelcee's definitely there, too!

Rodney said...

I have seen that look before!!!!!

Michelle said...

(laughing at Rodney....)

Steve Hight said...

Yeah, Rod, I've seen it, too. Like in the mall when I talked to her through my nose and acted like a spastic.

Gene Davis said...

I was thinking the same thing that Rodney wrote that I've seen that look before!!

Michelle said...

You've ALL deserved it too!!

Kim M. said...

I love the conversing between Michelle & Rodney!
Do you know the date of the picture? I LOVE old photographs... I love to look at the clothing/hairstyles of the day. Thirties? Great picture... cute little girls!
What a neat legacy for your mother to leave paintings!

Kim M. said...

Ok... I'm back.. I really enjoyed those pictures. Wow your mom could paint! And your dad reminds me of Clark Gable! Did anyone ever tell him that? Maybe it's the little mustache in one of the pictures. :-)

Steve Hight said...

I really don't know the date of the photo, but guessing that Mom's about 6 there, it would make the time about 79 years ago or so.

Kim M. said...

So neat!