Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Okay, okay, so more than two days have gone by. Sigh! Some people just have to take you seriously and then bug you when you don't live up to their expectations.

I won't mention any names, of course.

Just to give you something to look at, here's a picture of me eating Easter dinner in Bolivia with one of our oldest church members, a Quechua Indian man named Sebastián, who is 85 years old. The sun was pretty bright, so I was glad for my hat, and I experienced what Faith Hemmeter told me years ago: The sun shines brightly and may feel hot right on your body, but it doesn't really heat up the air around you in the high altitude, especially as winter is coming on.

Our meal consisted of fried chicken and boiled potatoes, a boiled plátano (frying banana), salad (which I didn't eat, since I didn't know if the lettuce had been properly cleaned), and Pepsi papaya. Chuckle on that one. We didn't have the fruit, papaya. In Bolivia, in the common parlance, a soft drink is called a papaya, they think because the very first soft drink in the country was of papaya flavor and had a picture of a papaya on the label. Of such odd instances are interesting language terms born.

No forks or spoons, as you can see, so we ate with the original utensils that God gave us. They're pretty efficient!

11 comments:

Karen Walden said...

Lookin good, Brother Hight! Will you be sporting that hat at IHC???

Steve Hight said...

Ha ha ha. Even though Michelle and Melinda won't be there, they'd shoot me if they heard that I wore it. They don't like it. For that matter, Kathy might not want me to wear it at IHC, though I think Bolivia's okay with her.

See you there, DV.

Michelle said...

What about South Carolina? Weren't you sporting that look there?

All you need are some cowboy boots....I'll bring Rodney's to you next time we come.

NOT!

Don't wear that to IHC!!!!

sankey family said...

Like the photo!
The food sounds good, too.
Glad for the update.

Rex and Missy McDowell said...

Dearest Br. Hight Sir,

I'm am sorry to hear that you are not living up to other's expectations, but I am also sorry to hear that people are bugging you about the fact. I'm beginning to get the idea from your many comments on my blog that you really do like all the attention that I give you. After all, you could let the "horse story" die. And by the way, we really did enjoy being with you over the last couple of conventions (believe it or not).

Rex and Missy McDowell said...

By the way, I'm glad that you clarified which of the two gentlemen is 85.

Vonnie said...

Looks like a yummy meal! And it looks hot with such a bright sun - reminds me of Alaska. The sun bmay be bright but it AIN'T warm!! :)

Kim M. said...

Wear the hat to church Sunday! :-)

Gene Davis said...

Which one is you??????

Steve Hight said...

Dear Gene -- I thought you were my friend. I defended you on your blog -- or was it Angie's, or maybe Karen and Jonathan's -- and this is my payback. Wow! I guess I'm just the whipping boy right now, eh?

tacomom said...

I don't think the hat is so bad. It's the combo with the suit :) But I can see why it would be necessary. I have to laugh at Michelle telling you NOT TO WEAR THE HAT AT IHC!! Nothing like a father embarrassing a child :)