Wednesday, March 26, 2008

For those who want to know without looking again at the comments: Yes, the cake in the post below was very tasty. I'm not normally a big fan of this sort of cake, but it seemed to be just the right balance between being just moist enough and not too soggy, and having enough fruit to make it flavorful but not so much that the fruit was overwhelming.

Onelia, my hostess, said that the yellow and red waves around the sides were made with colored gelatin. I noticed that the strawberries that ringed the top were dipped in the red gel to really make them stand out.

I'm home from Bolivia and breathing again :-) and will write again in a day or two and tell you more about my visit.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Well, it may have been just moist enough and not too soggy, but I still don't think I would try it.

Melodie may know what I'm talking about when I say Mexicans make a cake with fruit in it but after it's been baked they pour milk over it and it just sits in milk. Blech! Blech! Blech! There's a Mexican bakery in Frankfort that made Rodney's cousin's graduation cake and I wouldn't even touch it!!

sankey family said...

Well, I know of something called Tres Leche Cake that sounds like what you're describing. I've tried it a few times and to be honest have never really been impressed.

Steve Hight said...

Everybody knows that chocolate is best! Especially with fudge icing.

Rex and Missy McDowell said...

Wow, you have a long couple of days!

tacomom said...

I had a piece of cake last week called Seven Sins...made from seven kinds of chocolate. Can you say yum?? It was in Gatlinburg. Do I need to tell you exactly where? loL!

Steve Hight said...

Tacomom: Yes, I can say YUM! "YUM!" See? And, yes, please tell me where you found such a cake.

Rex, yes, a couple of very long days. And you helped make 'em that way :-)

tacomom said...

Gondolier Italian Pizza and Restaurant - they have fabulous pizza too!! And I'm picky about my pizza.

1235 East Parkway
Gatlinburg, TN 37738