Sunday, December 30, 2007

First post today. I purchased the following nativity figures on our trip to Honduras early this month.

The Catholics refer to the birth of Christ as a mystery (after all, the Virgin Birth is rather mysterious), so when I was asking about these figures, the lady at the souvenir market told me that this was "el misterio de los gordos," the mystery of the fat people. You'll see why.

First, a few of all the figures together. I need a stable large enough to house them in.
I guess you can see that they're all rather round!

Next, a closeup of the three kings. Note the rich borders on their garments. One of the figures is kneeling.

Here's the shepherd. I think he's my favorite. Note the patch on his clothes. I like his moustache. I think it makes him look Italian. Isn't the sheep cute?

Now for Mary and Joseph. They, too, have patched clothing, for they are poor. Jesus didn't come to the rich and powerful!

And now the baby Jesus.


4 comments:

Michelle said...

They are cute! I was trying to picture "fat people" and these are much cuter than what I had pictured in my head. LOL

tacomom said...

Adorable!

Tim and Kristina said...

I love the nativity set. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Kristina Wall (Pennellatore)

Kim M. said...

These are just too cute!!!