Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Deer in our side yard

We have a wooded area behind our house and behind our side yard where deer live. It's apparently a pretty good area for bedding down and not being bothered during the day. Across the road lives a doctor who has a nice expanse of land that includes a pond. It's not at all uncommon for us to see deer venture out at twilight and make their way across the road to drink and maybe to browse through the night.

Usually they're pretty leery of us. However, the other evening a doe and two fawns crossed the yard and the road while Kathy and I were in our driveway, so they must be getting used to us.

Last night (Monday, 9/1) I was sitting at the dining room table with my laptop, working on a theology lesson for my trip to Guatemala next month, when I saw a movement in my peripheral vision. There were three fawns in the yard, venturing toward the road. I decided it was time to try for a picture or two. One thing I quickly learned was that it's tough taking a picture in fading light through a double-pane window and getting a really clear shot. Still, I thought the pictures might be worth sharing.


Here are two of the fawns, looking a little hesitant.


One of those two, plus another fawn that was apparently a little more courageous, made their way toward the road. Thirst was upon them, and the pond on the other side was beckoning!


However, just as they were about to cross the road, three motorcycles (loud Harleys, from the sound of them) came roaring by. And the three fawns forgot about thirst and water and ponds and browse in their sudden fear. They turned quickly and ran pell mell into the woods. Here you can see one of them turning away from the road, beginning his flight. The other two would be right behind him.



4 comments:

Beth Stetler said...

Very nice! We don't see many (any!) deer here! :-)As to your question on my blog about comparing Pollo Loco and Pollo Campero...I would say there really is no comparison. The restaurants look similar but the food tastes very different. They're both among my favorites!

Michelle said...

They must've sensed that Rodney was there since we didn't see one single deer while there this weekend.

They are so pretty!

Steve Hight said...

But Rodney and Steven saw some when they went into the woods on Sunday afternoon.

Vonnie said...

Great pictures!!!