Sunday, October 28, 2007


Yesterday Kathy and I met Rodney, Michelle, and their three kids at the Indianapolis Zoo. It was damp, cloudy, and chilly, but at least we didn't have to worry about sunburn or dehydration, and it was nice to be together for an afternoon.

The Zoo does special promotions at various times of the year, so for Halloween they had all sorts of ghosts, skeletons, and monsters throughout the park. At the entrance they had this photo opportunity for making our grandchildren into the monsters that they are NOT. That's hydra-headed Steven at top right, one-eyed Ashlee at left, and purple people eater Kelcee at lower right.

In the Oceans pavilion, where they have lots of fish, penguins, and a Polar bear, they also have a pool where people can pet the dog sharks ("two fingers, touching from dorsal fin to tail," they instruct). Here's a picture of Steven touching one, with Rodney observing and the girls not sure if they want to. I did, and got the lower four inches of my sleeve wet, which kept me feeling chilly the rest of the afternoon.

A little farther along there was an elephant show. We were too late to see most of it, though we did watch the pachyderm create a three-color abstract painting. Actually, it was simple and colorful enough that I'd have been willing to be the winner and take it home! Anyway, when the show was over Rodney took the kids to touch the elephant, and here he is holding Kelcee up so she can learn what it feels like. Kelcee is in the light blue jacket.

There were rides at the zoo, too, and Ashlee opted to ride the carousel. (Steven and Kelcee with with Rodney on the roller "ghoster," which sort of scared them. I think they both wished that they had opted for this ride.) I don't know if Ashlee was riding a shark or a dolphin. Look at the teeth and tell me which.

Finally, as we were getting ready to leave, we saw this hooded skeleton sitting near the exit. We had earlier seen him walking around and greeting people, but now he was resting. Or was he? Did they stuff the costume with something and put it here while the zoo volunteer took a break somewhere? We convinced the kids to get near him to take a picture, but they wouldn't get too close, or would any of them sit in his lap. Note Kelcee's big eyes! They were a bit aprehensive.

And with reason! Suddenly the bony hand reached out and grabbed Steven's sleeve! I wish I had a picture of that moment. Steven was brave, but jerked away and went to stand with his daddy. Kathy (Grandma) said something about the hooded skeleton having a real person inside after all, and he shook his finger at her as if to say, "If your grandson was scared, it's your fault. Shame on you."

When the day was over and we had parted, Kathy and I stopped for a light supper and some hot chocolate. I don't know about her, but I felt a little chilled all day, and the hot drink really helped.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Steven will never forget that incident for sure! He still wasn't so sure about it when we told the story to Cooper's and Gurnee's Saturday night. Yesterday he was able to talk about it and laugh a little. Kelcee asked me yesterday, "Why did he grab Steven?"

sankey family said...

I loved the zoo story and all the pics. Poor Steven! That had to be scary - my kids would have hollered, for sure!
Hot chocolate sounds good - yummy!

Jonathan Walden said...

The hooded creature fills up a bench doesn't he? Great story! I can just imagine having fun doing that to kids all day!

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment and well-wishes for baby and I. I had some good days last week, but have made up for them by being more sick than ever this week. UGH! But, this too shall pass! =)

Enjoyed the zoo post and the pics. If that ghost would have done that to me, I'd have screamed bloody murder, and made him deaf. HA!

So glad you had some fun family time! I think I could use some family time about right now, with my family who are in the USA. =)
But we missionaries now-a-days have it much easier than y'all did! I'm thankful to at least be able to email/call my family, and not have to wait for snail mail!

Heather and family! =)

Janet Sankey said...

Wow....I just now found your blog from a link on Melodie's page. I'm slow...but then you already knew that. You are a good writer and story teller. I'm not "in to" ghosts, etc....so your grandkids probably did better than I would have, but sounds like a fun day. I remember doing that for and with ours when they were nearby.

Janiece said...

Michelle and Rodney told us all about your day, that evening when they stopped at our house! So glad you all are able to share those special moments with your grandkids, what great memories they will have! Very nice post!